The Advantages of a Natural C-Section
With more than 32 percent of women giving birth via Cesarean section, it makes sense that many mothers are looking for a better option than the traditional surgery. Whether it’s a scheduled C-section or if it is unplanned, the experience doesn’t have to be traumatic.
C-sections are a miraculous medical procedure that can save both the life of the mother and the baby, or babies, when complications arise. For mothers of twins or when babies are in a breached position, sometimes a C-section is the only option.
Some women have unfortunately had less than ideal C-sections. They can’t remember much during or after the procedure, were upset when they couldn’t hold their baby immediately after giving birth, or had issues breastfeeding.
The good news is there’s another option. Natural C-sections, also known as Gentle or Mother Friendly C-sections, are gaining in popularity. Unlike the traditional procedure, mothers can immediately hold their baby after a Natural C-section.
Some other benefits of a Natural C-section include:
- Shorter Recovery Time: A less invasive and more gentle surgical procedure means a shorter recovery time for mom. This approach involves minimizing the traditional and more severe cauterization of tissues, which translates to a decrease in pain and less time in recovery.
- Calming Music: Just because a mother gives birth via C-section doesn’t mean she can’t have a positive and soothing experience. With the Natural C-section approach, mothers and their partners can select their own birth soundtrack and watch a video to prepare for the procedure.
- Ability to Witness the Birth: If the mother desires it, she can witness the birth of her child.
- Mother and Baby Bonding: Thanks to an adjustment in the anesthesia, the mother’s dominant arm and chest are free after a Natural C-section. This gives the mother the ability to hold her baby and gain that precious skin-to-skin contact immediately after birth.
- Better for Breastfeeding: Studies show that baby and mom receive the most benefits when breastfeeding begins as soon as possible. The gentle C-section helps facilitate this invaluable element of the mother-baby relationship
Contact Dr. David Ghozland today by calling (310) 393-9359 to find out more about the natural approach to C-sections.