Endometrial Ablation Effective for Irregular Bleeding
Women who suffer from irregular or severe menstrual cycles know that if left untreated, this condition can have a significant impact on their daily lives and activities. Thankfully, a procedure called endometrial ablation is proving to be an effective treatment for heavy menstrual bleeding.
Endometrial ablation is a procedure that is used to remove a thin layer of tissue within a woman’s uterus. The procedure is minimally invasive and does not require any cuts or incisions. There are several different methods healthcare providers may use to perform an endometrial ablation on a patient suffering from excessive menstrual bleeding. These can include:
- Electrical or electrocauter. This method uses an electric current that effectively destroys the uterine lining.
- With this method, fluid is heated and then pumped into the uterus to destroy the lining.
- Balloon therapy. Your healthcare provider inserts a thin catheter with a balloon on the end into the uterus. Once inserted, the balloon is filled with heated fluid that safely destroys the uterine lining.
- Radiofrequency ablation. In this method, an electrical mesh is inserted into the uterus and then expanded. An electrical current made by radio waves is then deployed to destroy the lining.
- With this method, a probe chilled to an extremely cold temperature is used to freeze the lining.
- Microwave ablation. Microwave energy is transmitted through a thin probe to eliminate the lining.
Women who are candidates for endometrial ablation include those who have struggled with heavy or lengthy periods and bleeding between periods, especially when the bleeding is so heavy that it negatively affects daily activities. Some women even experience anemia as a result of this type of ongoing bleeding.
Menstrual bleeding problems may be rooted in hormonal imbalances, especially during perimenopause and menopause. Other causes include abnormalities such as fibroids, polyps, or cancer of the endometrium or uterus.
Endometrial ablation surgery is an effective means of lessening heavy menstrual bleeding or even stopping it completely. However, women who undergo this procedure may not be able to get pregnant afterwards, so it’s important to have a thorough consultation with your doctor before undergoing this or any other medical procedure.