How to Prepare and Recover from a Labiaplasty
Have you decided to move forward with a labiaplasty? Are you tired of the discomfort associated with an elongated labia? Whether the excess skin on your vaginal lips is a result of childbirth or genetics, the preparation and recovery for the reconstructive surgery is the same.
The procedure will help resolve issues caused by excess labial tissue, such as discomfort during sex or exercise. In addition, tightening the vaginal area and removing the sagging skin should boost a woman’s confidence. Here are some tips for how to best prep for a labiaplasty and comfortably and safely recover after.
- Reduce alcohol intake: Booze is a blood thinner, so it’s not the best substance to have in the system pre-surgery. If you drink, make sure you reduce your intake the week before surgery.
- Quit smoking: Smoking can increase complications such as blood clotting.
- Shave and shower: Surgeons want to be able to see the vaginal area easily and of course, want it as hygienic as possible.
- Ice, ice baby: The cold substance is definitely a friend after a labiaplasty. Icing the vaginal area will help reduce swelling and pain.
- Take it easy: Don’t head straight to the gym after a labiaplasty. A few days of rest is essential. So put those feet up, dive into that “must read” list you’ve been saving up or binge on those Netflix shows.
- Medicate: Pain levels are different for every patient. Talk to your doctor about any prescriptions or over-the-counter medications you may need to deal with the post-op pain.
- Pull out the sweats and kaftans: Wearing tight jeans or those new Lululemons is probably the farthest thing on your mind after a labiaplasty. Loose, breathable clothes are the best option for a week or so after surgery. So embrace the comfy.
- Abstain from intercourse: Sex is definitely out of the picture for six to eight weeks post procedure.
Follow these tips and your labiaplasty should be a success. If you’ve been wondering if a labiaplasty is right for you, schedule a free consultation with Dr. Ghozland to find.