A hysterectomy is a procedure that is performed for a number of reasons. Often it is done to relieve women of the painful symptoms related to:
- Abnormal bleeding
- Pelvic pain
- Fibroids, which can cause bleeding and pain
- Uterine prolapse, or when the uterus slides form its normal position
- Uterine, cervical or ovarian cancers
Dr. Ghozland’s hysterectomy procedures can be done in a variety of ways. Depending on the situation, the uterus may be fully or partially removed. Given the situation and the patients’ age, the ovaries may or may not be removed along with the uterus. This would be reviewed with Dr. Ghozland at the time of your consultation.
- Supracervical, or partial, hysterectomy — Dr. Ghozland removes the upper part of the uterus; cervix remains.
- Total hysterectomy — The uterus, cervix, ovaries (one or both) and fallopian tubes are removed.
Dr. Ghozland performs:
- Laparoscopic hysterectomy — A laparoscope, or thin tube with a lighted camera, and small surgical tools are inserted through a few very small cuts made in the belly. The surgeon performs the hysterectomy from outside the body, viewing the operation on a video screen. This procedure provides tiny incisions and, hence, a quicker recovery and better cosmesis.
- Scar-less hysterectomy —This robotic procedure allows for slightly better control, increased visibility, HD capability and higher magnification. Only one small cut is made in the belly button. Dr. Ghozland is one of very few surgeons that can perform this procedure.
Both procedures are minimally invasive hysterectomies (requiring general anesthesia) with little blood loss and allow the patient to return home the same day. Patients will be seen again during a one-week and four-week follow-up.
Patients should expect to walk the same day as their procedure, but there may be discomfort, abdominal tenderness and light spotting. Bleeding like a period should be reported immediately to their physician. Daily activities can be resumed in two to three days. Within five to seven days, patients can return work.
Dr. Ghozland and his team are proud to offer women multiple options when a hysterectomy is needed. Most patients will be discharged home the same day and will gain the benefits of a speedy recovery and enhanced cosmetics due to our advanced minimally hysterectomy options.
To learn more about Dr. Ghozland’s minimally invasive hysterectomies, visit the individual procedure pages or call the office at (310) 393-9359 to schedule an appointment.